Main Article Content
Herewith are presented the contents of the ING (Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica) historical archives, recently reorganized to preserve and make available to scholars documents concerning the scientific activity and management of the Institute. The documents date from 1945, when the Institute became an independent board after separating it from the CNR (Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche) to 1965. It is a decisive period for the ING, whichhad been founded in 1936 by Guglielmo Marconi, president of the CNR at the time and by the physicist Antonino Lo Surdo, who became its first director until his death in 1949. These valuable papers document how the ING rose from the war destruction, expanded its seismic monitoring network and developed experimental and theoretical research in all the main fields of the Earth physics.
No Permission Required
Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia applies the Creative Commons Attribution License (CCAL) to all works we publish.
Under the CCAL, authors retain ownership of the copyright for their article, but authors allow anyone to download, reuse, reprint, modify, distribute, so long as the original authors and source are cited. No permission is required from the authors or the publishers.